June 18, 2012

Criminal by: Karin Slaughter

Recently I had the privilege to read best selling author Karin Slaughter's new novel Criminal (on sale 7.3.12)

This book has literally something for everyone.  It has a compelling mystery, a troubled love story, tough cops, and a crazy killer.  Below the fold I'll try to maintain a mostly spoiler free review.

I'm familiar with the Atlanta area, which happens to be the setting for this novel, I just love mystery novels; and serial killers just fascinate me to no end.  Let's just say, I had a good time sinking my teeth into this one.

So as previously stated, I know Atlanta, and the author actually resides in Atlanta, Ga herself.  The setting is described to a tee perfectly.  It was a bit crazy seeing it all in my head as the story unraveled all these gruesome crimes.

There is a wide variety of characters all very detailed, and well thought out.  This story is also a bit unique as it's got a sort of time machine plot line as you jump back and forth between two time periods.  1974-75 and Present day.  If should be easy enough for anyone to follow, just wear a thinking cap, as the plot is somewhat simple. Although there are a few twists you might not expect for the end.

In the past timeline you're following feisty young Amanda as she launching her career launching case with the Atlanta Police Department.  The present day timeline is about a current string of similar killings following a now much older Amanda and her underling Will and his love interest Sara.

This is an excellent novel and a great read for anyone who loves crime, mystery, or thrillers.

I received an Advanced Reading Copy of this book through the goodreads.com First Reads program. 

No comments: